Friday, November 14, 2014

Ehren Tool / Ceramics and more

This fiber collage is of Ehren Tool.   I was watching Craft in America:Service about two weeks ago and it featured Ehren Tool from Berkeley, who was in his masters program at Berkeley...a ceramics major who created cups depicting war, battle, soldier memories....a returning soldier who found his way through schooling paid for by the GI bill.....I was really struck by his work and what he believed in as a man/soldier/warrior and as an artist.  I went on line to find him to see where his work was for sale as I really wanted to purchase a piece for my bother-in-law, Val Schiele...a true blue 100% Marine who fought in Vietnam on several tours of duty...I have his name in our family  holiday draw and I thought this would be something he didn't have that I knew he would love.  Surprisingly Ehren responded to my email saying he didn't sell his work, but that he'd be honored to work up a cup for my brother-in-law....I responded back saying OK and thanks, but how about we do a trade....so I created a fiber collage of him which just went out via FEDEX and he's creating a cup for me to give to Val...................the perfect trade.  I hope Ehren likes his collage...I enjoyed researching him on the internet and using images and words to put together his collage.  "Anyone who has witnessed war, is a changed person forever"...his words, not mine.  I love the Craft in America series and recommend anyone to view them...you learn so much about people and why they do what they do. 

On my own quest.....I'm struggling a bit, but loosening up....it's difficult when I have to be "on" all the time watching and caring for Lynn.....but I've gotten more studio time this week and I will say it helps me make through the day care wise.  I don't like the interruptions, but they are going to happen and knowing that makes them come a little easier.  I'm planning "what next" and working up some fabric to use...pictures to come later. 

Tomorrow I hang about 16 pieces of work at the CommuniCare Health Center in Davis, Ca with my friend and fellow fiber artist, Marjan Kluepfel....."Force of Nature" is our title and it runs from Nov 21 to Feb 6, 2015...reception happening Fri Nov 21.....I hate receptions, but I'll work this with Marjan and I'm sure we'll have a good time.   I have Lynn youngest daughter coming in to care for him and that makes it much easier for me to ease up and spend some time with others selling my work. 

Enough for now........picture and more information as time goes by.  11/14/13

No comments:

Post a Comment