Monday, June 20, 2016

Latest Work - Getting Serious


 6/20/16.....My latest piece of work....."Mask Series: Haitian Masqueraders"  20"h x 32"w

Haitian boys become Pa Wowo-painted, coconut-leaf skirted peasants who personify poverty during Spring Carnival.  Graffiti on the walls:  Tout moun se moun=everyone matters & Del dan pa di zanni = Not all smile are friendly.

I've had these images for a long time...copyright free images taken by Phyllis Galembo for a book titled "Maske"..giving the photographer full credit although copyright free..... printed the images off onto cotton fabric and fused them to the background fabric.  Used yellow pastel to shade in the background fabric and stitched over the entire background and images accenting the red color on the images.  Hard to see the stitching in this photo...have to work on my photography a bit.

I intend to submit this to the upcoming Crocker Kinsley competition juried in later this year for an early 2017 exhibit at Blue Line Arts Gallery in Roseville.  I'm planning on creating and submitting two others, so once I have the backing on this piece and it's wired to hang, I'm diving into something new, unique and different for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment