Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Heat Made Me Do IT

This week has been unexpectedly very HOT HOT HOT....up into the 100's and it's not cooling off much in the evenings...which makes it a very short window of opportunity for me to do any work out in my "add on to the back of my house studio".   So, yesterday, I put on my muscles and moved my large red sewing table into my dining room area and I've set myself up for about four/five months of hot weather and getting some work done despite the HOT weather.  I can still use the studio for early morning up to about 11am to cut/fuse and plan, but any serious sewing has to be under cool conditions and indoors is the place to be.  That table is getting heavier and heavier each time I more it...my contractor made me a table to last that is for sure. 

And after taking a short month long ceramics class where we played with building with coils, I really got jazzed again about created sewn vessels...samples of a few I built a while ago..these are fabric...I painted them and embellished them with tissue paper and then decoupaged the outsides so they are hard.  I got some great ideas using the clay coils on some ideas I can do with fabric...so I pulled out my supply of different sized cording and plan to work up a piece to enter into the "Maps" exhibit at Blue Line that I already have submitted to with my "Destination Roseville" (see previous blog). 

I'm really enjoying just doing work that I WANT TO DO and not what I think I have to do to keep my walls up to date at the gallery...because I have such a good inventory I can slack off a bit and do the fun work I've been wanting to do for quite some time.

Plan on changing my wall display at the gallery either tomorrow or next Wednesday...it takes time and I really really really don't like climbing up on the ladder past a certain height, but I'm going to have to do that to make the changes.  I'm dragging my feet, but really need to get in there and do it as I need some off the walls for other exhibits.  Have to make the changes before 11am or after 6pm so that kind of dictates when I can do things...I'm going to put up a retrospective of work that I have created for the gallery over the last four/five years...really mix it up so I'll have about five different types of fiber techniques mixed throughout the wall display...sure hope I sell as my sales this year will definitely dictate whether I continue on in 2017 at this location. 


No comments:

Post a Comment